We believe that continuous learning is important in the rapidly changing translational research field. This online training series is the "non-credit" version of a post-doctoral certificate in Translational Research Team Management offered by the Graduate
School of Biomedical Sciences.
The courses are self-paced and available to any UTMB employee, student, faculty, or researcher. There are six distinct training courses, built around needed competencies of translational researchers.
- Effective Leadership:
- Provide the ability to choose among leadership, empowerment, and coaching options relative to situation or context involving translational research.
- Project Management:
- Provide the basic knowledge and skills to more effectively manage scientific and academic projects through appropriate project organization and planning, team selection, team leadership, and control and tracking.
- Team Building and Meeting Management:
- Provide knowledge of techniques useful in establishing and developing high performance scientific teams and the conduct of effective meetings.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness and Positive Influence:
- Provide basic knowledge and skills to more effectively communicate with individuals and teams, effectively influence others, and engage in “relational mapping” for customized communication with “difficult others” and
unique change obstacles.
- Conflict Resolution and Negotiation:
- Provide the basic knowledge of conflict processes in organizations and scientific project teams, and skills involving conflict resolution techniques and methods, as well as negotiation principles, processes, and strategies.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Provide basic knowledge and skill to more effectively understand personal decisional style, select and use appropriate decision and problem solving techniques and models, and engage others in creative and innovative processes for scientific
For more information on the Translational Research Post-doctoral Certificate Program, see https://www.utmb.edu/its/learning/degrees-certificates/translational-research-post-doctoral-program or reach out to our Office of Education Programs Training Manager, Donna Adams.